| fabio sergio
firstname.lastname@example.org | twitter: @freegorifero
Fabio Sergio is Vice President of Creative at frog, the global design and innovation firm.
He works across a wide spectrum of sectors, with industry leaders such as Vodafone, GE, HP, LGE, BBC, Johnson & Johnson, Swisscom, Novartis and Merck.
Fabio is the global head of frog's Social Impact practice, one of the firm's healthcare experts and one of its User Experience Strategy leads.
He is passionate about exploring areas at the intersection of design, technology and human aspirations, wrapping business scenarios around people's desires and dreams.
Fabio often speaks at worldwide events, including The Economist Technology Frontiers, The Guardian Mobile Summit, The Aspen Design Summit, The Rutberg Summit, GSMA mHealth Summit Cape Town, Stanford Mobile Health, NEXT Berlin, LIFT Geneva.
He is a Professor at Politecnico di Milano, and a guest lecturer at Domus Academy, Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design and SUPSI's Master of Advanced Studies in Interaction Design.
Prior to joining frog Fabio was an Associate Professor of Interaction Design at Interaction Design Institute Ivrea. Previously he was a Sr. Manager at 3 Italy, a User Experience Director at XYZ Reply, a User Experience Lead at Razorfish, and an Interaction Designer in the Global Consumer Design Center of Whirlpool Europe.
Fabio is formally trained as an architect and industrial designer.
He lives In Italy with his wife Valeria and their sons Andrea and Davide.
- Over 15 years of design and innovation leadership across diverse industry sectors, in corporations and consultancies.
- Co-founded the Italian frog studio, which has grown from 7 to 50+ employees.
- Managed cross-disciplinary teams of 25+ creative professionals.
- Played a leadership role - from pre-sales to execution - on key accounts across Europe, North America, Asia and Africa.
- Global lead of frogImpact - frog's Social Impact practice - heading collaborations with organizations such as the World Economic Forum and Unicef's Innovation Unit.
- Shaped frog's company-wide User Experience Strategy practice, coordinating a group of director-level professionals across 7 studios.
- Over 10 years of international writing and speaking experience on Design Strategy, User Experience and Innovation.
- 15 years of experience as a graduate and postgraduate educator.
- Passionate business advocate of design as a driver of meaningful human experiences that generate new market opportunities and challenge the boundaries of what is possible.
- Strategic system thinker capable of modeling ambiguous customer, technical and business insights into frameworks and narratives that make complexity intelligible to diverse stakeholders and drive alignment of intent.
- Visionary and inspiring communicator, capable of articulating a vision and its business rationale to drive team and executive buy-in. Excellent verbal and written skills, comfortable with large C-level audiences.
- Broad and deep experience in deploying a human-centered innovation process: foundational and generative user research, participatory ideation and concept development, iterative prototyping and testing, detailed design and implementation.
- Proven track record in pushing large cross-disciplinary teams beyond their comfort zone in the pursuit of excellence.
- Business-savvy organization builder within corporations and consultancies.
- Experienced organizer and moderator of C-level innovation labs.
- Educator and mentor across the continuum of knowledge generation, organization and communication.
April 2014 - present
Vice President of Creative
April 2010 - March 2014
Executive Creative Director
September 2006 - March 2010
Politecnico di Milano
April 2008 - present
Interaction Design Institute Ivrea
October 2005 - June 2006
Associate Professor of Interaction Design
- Co-organized and led intensive "Applied Dreams" workshops in collaboration with corporate partners.
- Thesis advisor to postgraduate students.
- Educator on design thinking methodologies to classes of 30+ graduate and postgraduate students.
Mobile Handsets, Industrial Design & User Interface
September 2002 - September 2005
- Led collaborations with most major mobile handset manufacturers.
- Global LGE Product Manager, coordinating marketing activities with a team of product managers located in Europe, Asia and Australia.
- Led the design and development of mobile accessories and wireless peripherals with Asian ODMs.
- Ideated, prototyped and tested value-added mobile services.
September 2001 - August 2002
User Experience Director
- Expanded offering from offline to online media, established processes and new team, led business development activities.
- Supervised all client engagements: direction & vision, scoping & planning, resource coordination, quality and on-time delivery of creative output.
August 2000 - August 2001
User Experience Lead, Sr. Information Architect
- Supervised all client engagements: pre-sales, direction & vision, scoping & planning, resource coordination, quality of creative output.
- Information Architecture and User Intelligence skill-set lead.
- New staff evaluation, training and mentoring.
Global Consumer Design
March 1997 - July 2000
- Led cross-functional User Interface projects across products and pan-European brands.
- Co-led Networked Home Solutions activities.
- Interaction design, behavior specification, software simulation development.
- Usability and user testing, translation of usability requirements into design guidelines.
Studio di architettura Sironi
May 1996 - March 1997
SPEAKING / EXECUTIVE WORKSHOPS:
- UX Strat Boulder, 2014
- Munich Creative Business Week, Munich, 2014
- UN Human Rights IT Innovation Summit, WEF, Geneva, 2013
- International AIDS Conference (PDF), UNICEF, Washington, 2012
- Mobile Health Summit, Cape Town, 2012
- The Economist Technology Frontiers (video), London, 2012
- Mobile World Congress, Barcelona, 2012
- The Guardian Mobile Business Summit (video), London, 2011
- Mobile Healthcare Summit (PDF), Brussels, 2011
- Frontiers of Interaction, Florence, 2011
- Rutberg Summit, London, 2011
- NEXT (video), Berlin, 2011
- Mobile World Congress, Barcelona, 2011
- World Economic Forum, Re-Thinking Personal Data (PDF), Davos, 2011
- Telco 2.0, London, 2010
- Mobile Healthcare Summit, London, 2010
- Design For Persuasion, Ghent, 2010
- Continua Health Alliance Summit, Belfast, 2010
- M-Health Summit, Stanford, 2010
- Mobile Monday Amsterdam (video), Amsterdam, 2010
- Aspen Design Summit, Aspen, 2009
- TED Salon (PDF), London, 2009
- Mobile Healthcare Summit, London, 2009
- Media Futures (PDF), London, 2009
- Frontiers of Interaction (PDF), Rome, 2009
- Copenhagen Design Week, Copenhagen, 2009
- LIFT (video), Geneva, 2009
- MEX, The Mobile User Experience Conference, London, 2008
- Frontiers of Interaction, Milan, 2007
- From Business to Buttons (PDF), Malmoe, 2007
- Frontiers of Interaction, Milan, 2006
- MEX, The Mobile User Experience Conference, London, 2006
- Design Engaged, Berlin, 2005
- World Usability Day, Rome, 2005
- MEX, The Mobile User Experience Conference (PDF), London, 2005
- Design Engaged (PDF), Amsterdam, 2004
TEACHING / LECTURING:
- Politecnico di Milano, Product Service System Design, Adjunct Professor, 2014
- Domus Academy, Guest Lecturer, Design & I-Design Masters, 2014
- Politecnico di Milano, Product Service System Design, Adjunct Professor, 2013
- Domus Academy, Guest Lecturer, Design & I-Design Masters, 2012
- SUPSI, Adjunct Professor, Designing Advanced Services, Master of Advanced Studies in Interaction Design, Feb-Mar 2012
- Domus Academy, Guest Lecturer, Service Design & I-Design Masters, 2012
- Politecnico di Milano, Product Service System Design, Adjunct Professor, 2012
- Domus Academy, Guest Lecturer, Design & I-Design Masters, 2011
- Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design, Visiting Professor, Jan 2010
- Politecnico di Milano, Product Service System Design, Adjunct Professor, 2011
- Domus Academy, Guest Lecturer, Design & I-Design Masters, 2010
- Domus Academy, Guest Lecturer, Design & I-Design Masters, 2009
- Politecnico di Milano, Visiting Professor, Nov 2008-Mar 2009
- Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design, Visiting Professor, Nov 2008
- Politecnico di Milano, Visiting Professor, Apr-Jun 2008
- Scuola Politecnica di Design, Visiting Professor, 2008
- Politecnico di Milano, Guest Lecturer, 2007
- Scuola Politecnica di Design, Visiting Professor, Apr-Jun 2007
- Domus Academy, Visiting Professor, I-Design Master, 2007
- Scuola Politecnica di Design, Visiting Professor, Apr-Jun 2006
- Domus Academy, Visiting Professor, I-Design Master, 2006
- Interaction Design Institute Ivrea, Visiting Professor, 2005
- "Digital Creator", Interactive Module, Arsnova Siena, Apr-Sep 2002
- "Web Design and Usability", Sole 24 Ore master, Jul 2001
- "User Experience: What is it really?", Sole 24 Ore Forum, Dec 2000
- Domus Academy, Guest Lecturer, I-Design Master, 2000
- "A comprehensive toolkit to empower community health workers. ", Touchpoint Magazine, 2014
- "The Next Wave In Branding: Merging Experiences ", Fast Co.Design, 2013
- "10 Ways That Mobile Learning Will Revolutionize Education", Fast Co.Design, 2012
- "Creativity Comes From Blending Dissonant Goals Into Radical Harmony", Fast Co.Design, 2012
- "In medium stat virtus", Equilibri, 2002
- "User Experience, style and new design", Abitare-salone, 2001
Architecture (industrial design minor)
Politecnico di Milano, October 1996
- Usability testing
- Cognitive factors in design
- Visual literacy for interface designers
- Elements of anthropology and ethnography
- Brand marketing
- Passionate, curious, future-oriented.
- Unafraid of new, complex and ambiguous challenges.
- Love for the details, seen from a mile high.
- Self-motivated, self-starter.
- Collaboration and people-oriented, low-ego, caring, active listener.